Tuesday

Bicicletas del Mundo! (JUNE 23)

I know that foreign lands are supposed to be exciting just because they're so exotic, but driving through the Netherlands is like driving through Indiana...

It's been pretty chilly since we got here. But today it got up to 24 degrees (that's Celsius), making for excellent bicycle riding weather in the bicycle capital of the world: Amsterdam!

The traffic in Amsterdam is utterly crazy. The streets and sidewalks are filled with motorists, cyclists, mopedists, and pedestrians. All, for the most part, coexisting in perfect harmony. The only thing I wanted to do was bike. And after two frustrating hours of marching about and fruitlessly searching the map, we finally found a Rent-a-Bike and a very nice Dutch man fixed Andy and I up with two dutch ladies bicycles.



Riding through the streets and alleyways of Amsterdam was exhilarating, BUT MOSTLY TERRIFYING! Cars would whiz past you on crowded streets and then you'd barely have enough time to dodge an oncoming cyclist. I could give or take Amsterdam as a whole, but riding bicycles along the canals and the Amstel has been one of the highlights of this trip so far. An awesome experience. And thank goodness I'm still alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment